One of my fellow Office 365 MVP’s Martina Grom (@magrom) wrote an outstanding blog post comparing Yammer with Exchange Distribution Lists as well as how to utilize Yammer to replace Exchange DLs. I highly recommend this blog post as a great resource for moving into Enterprise Social with Yammer, http://blog.atwork.at/post/2014/12/07/Comparing-Yammer-to-Exchange-Distribution-lists.aspx
After missing October because of my job change and other stuff going on, a vacation to Mexico! We resumed the Office 365 International User Group for a meeting. The meeting went very well, and I was able to remember to record even before Martina reminded me!
We started off the meeting discussing the vast array of new features and functionality that has come to Office 365 since our September meeting:
- Nav Bar Apps
- Office Suite MFA and SAML Identity Provider Support
- Yammer Identity Integration with Office 365
- Lync to become Skype for Business
After the discussion I went into a demo of SkyKick’s Migration Automation Application. While I am a little biased here, it is a good product and think it will help out Partners migrating customers to Office 365.
The meeting ended with an open discussion about various topics.
Also remember these import Sites:
- www.office365union.com – This group’s official Website
- https://www.yammer.com/office365iug – The Yammer network for this group
- https://www.yammer.com/itpronetwork – The Official Microsoft Yammer group for Office 365
- www.office365.com – website for all things Office 365
As mentioned, I did remember to record the meeting, here you go!
As most of you know, I recently made a move and now work at SkyKick. What I knew coming into this job was that SkyKick had some pretty kickass applications for migrating mailboxes to Office 365, but what I didn’t know is the minutia of how they do this. Everyone out there can move the data, that is relatively easy, but what SkyKick does is not only move the data, but automates the entire project. After being a full-time SkyKicker for several weeks, here are my top reason why you should be using SkyKick as your migration solution (all the below items relate to our SMB and Enterprise Suite Applications, some but not all also relate to the Data-Only Application):
- SkyKick Outlook Assistant (SKOA)
- Patching and Updates
- Ensures each client Outlook version is ready to access Office 365
- Will push patches, Updates and Service packs as needed
- Reporting of the install and readiness of the SKOA
- NK2 file migration
- This is the ‘Contacts’ that almost every end-user relies on
- This is really the Auto-Complete of email addresses when a user starts a new email message
- No other 3rd party migration solution that I am aware of migrates this data
- Huge win for you the partner
- Huge win for your customer IT department
- PST File(s) migration
- New Profile has the PST File(s) from the source Profile
- If it is a IMAP or POP3 data will be migrated to Office 365 Mailbox
- Signature Migration
- Again – end user doesn’t need to re-create
- You the partner are the hero
- OST/Cache file off hours creation
- Eliminates the network congestion on Migration morning
- Reporting tells the admin the End User will have the Outlook profile migrated seamlessly
- Easy to identify client that are in need of help prior to the migration, not after!
- Patching and Updates
- Calendar Items are real
- Most migration solutions can migration ‘A Calendar Item’
- SkyKick Migrates the Calendar Item but makes sure it works
- An attendee changes status after meeting, the Calendar updates
- An organizer changes the meeting time or location after migration and sends to all, they all get the update
- No Missed emails
- SkyKick does numerous migration passes – Included, no extra cost
- SkyKick does migration passes over the 48 hours AFTER a migration is completed
- SkyKick does a “True-Up” of the mailbox on Final Sync, this means any modifications to the mailbox at the source by the user is represented in Office 365
- User deletes an email after the initial sync, the final sync will make the change in the Office 365
- User moves an email in the source after initial sync, final sync will make the change in Office 365
- Changes to Contacts after initial sync are changed during final sync
- Automation, Automation, Automation!
- SkyKick matches the source email environment to the target environment (Office 365) automatically
- SkyKick Discovery finds not only the mailboxes, but also the Distribution Lists and all members
- SkyKick Discovers and find the Public Folders for an on-premises Exchange Environment.
The above list is not a complete list of the benefits of using the SkyKick Applications for a migration to Office 365, but it does highlight, in my mind, the things that are often missed in a migration. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally or to SkyKick.com for more information!
Today in my company’s production Tenant I noticed a new Nav Bar Layout. This layout removes the Service items from running across the Nav Bar and consolidates them all into a button in the left hand corner. When select all the options pop-out. See the new layout below. I will say that in this tenant we do have First Release turned on, meaning we will get most new functionality approximately 2 weeks before general rollout.
Today, my company, SkyKick announced a new Data-Only migration application for handling email data migrations, and since many of you use migration tools, I wanted to give my take on this product and why we’re doing it.
First off, the product is awesome, and I think partners are really going to love it for those times you only need the email, calendar and contact data migrated. I joined SkyKick because they create innovative products, and they do whatever it takes to help their partners. This product delivers on both fronts. Check out the website to learn more, but I’d like too personally call out a few big features that I believe are going to save partners a bunch of time and hassle:
Server Sync – hands down incredibly data quality, fidelity, and speed. This feature has been the foundation of their full Migration Suites and now is available with Data-Only. The great part is the way it’s architected eliminates the need to manage migrations and the “migration passes” while getting post-mx record fidelity down to the folder, category and flag level. Plus it seems faster too. Look for a follow-up post where I do a deep dive on all the cool things SkyKick migrates.
Mailbox Matching – the Data-Only Planner will automatically match on source-side and destination-side mailboxes, saving partners a bunch of time setting up the migration. For the “old schoolers”, there’s even a great .CSV upload feature.
Admin Sync – Source-Side Impersonation has been missing from SkyKick for a while and now they have it not only for Exchange, but also for Google too!
Price – It’s only $12, and deeper discounts are available through Ingram and Synnex. While this is a positive, it can also be a negative, so choose your SkyKick solution carefully depending on what you’re trying to accomplish. I want to let folks know though that since joining I found out that SkyKick has surveyed and analyzed thousands of partners’ migration projects, and we found that the full SMB and Enterprise Migration Suites still deliver the most value and are still the most profitable for partners. But for those do-it-yourself customers and particular customer environments, eg, without desktops, this is a great way to serve them too.
Secondly, since many have asked, I want to let you know why we’re launching the Data-Only sku. The very simple and clear-cut answer is because so many of our partners asked for it! Now that I’m on the inside so to speak, I’ve been really impressed how partner-focused SkyKick is, and how takes all the great feedback from our partners seriously. Data-Only is a direct result of feedback received from our Partner community. You’ve told us (and we know) that there are times when the full project automation doesn’t make sense for a customer. And no, just because SkyKick spent years developing the most innovative migration project technology on the planet, the team is not offended to have to pull features to deliver this. Nor are they changing course – we do what helps partners most, and this was next on the list.
We are continually evaluating our offering to Partners and helping them get the most value in migrating their customers to Office 365. I am excited because I am personally working with our development team on some new cool stuff. Go try a Data-Only migration today. And remember, this is only the next step in a long journey – stay tuned – we are just getting started!